Working Papers

Employment Certificates (Working Papers)

  • All minors under the age of 18 who work in New Jersey must have an employment certificate – also called “working papers” or a special permit (for agriculture, newspaper carrier, or theatrical employment).
  • An employment certificate is required for each employer.

Beginning October 2012, minors may obtain a blank A300 employment certification form from either the NJ Department of Education or from the NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development. Minors may continue to obtain a blank employment certification from the Issuing Officer of the local school district where the minor resides.


After the minor completes the personal information on the employment certification, the minor takes the form to the employer to complete the employment information and Promise of Employment.

Physician’s Certification – The minor then must have a physical or obtain a doctor’s note. The school district is responsible for performing the physical examination at no cost to the minor. A school physical (including a sports physical) performed during freshman year is good for all four year of high school (unless the school district policy specifies more frequent physicals).

If the minor’s parent/guardian prefers their child to be examined by a doctor other than the one employed by the school district, they may do so at their own expense. A minor is not required to obtain a physical if the parent/guardian objects (in writing) based on their religious beliefs and practices.

Proof of Age – If the school does not have a copy on file, the minor may be asked to provide a birth certificate, passport, baptismal certificate or other identification documentation to the School Issuing Officer.

Parent/Guardian Authorization – The parent/guardian must indicate his/her authorization of the minor’s employment as specified in the employment information section.

School Record/Issuing Officer Certification – The minor must bring the completed certification to their school district. A designated school official will review the form and issue the employment certificate only after being satisfied that the working conditions and hours will not interfere with the minor’s education or damage the minor’s health. The school official may refuse to issue the employment certificate if such refusal would be in the minor’s best interest.

Special Permits for Agriculture, Newspaper Carriers, or Theatrical Employment
Depending on the age of the minor and whether the minor will be working in agriculture, newspaper carriers, or theatrical employment, the minor may need to obtain a special permit (A310 Combined Certification Form for Agriculture, Newspaper Carrier, Street Trades or Theatrical Employment). The minor must obtain this permit from the Issuing Officer of the local school district where the minor resides. If the minor is not a New Jersey resident, the A310 special permit can be obtained from the district in which the minor has obtained a promise of employment.

  • Agriculture (minimuim age - 12 years old)
    12 thru 15 years old - Special Agriculture Permit
  • Newspaper Carriers (minimum age - 11 years old)
    11 thru 15 years old - Special Newspaper Carrier Permit
    16 & 17 years old - Employment Certificate

  • Theatrical (minimum age - None)
    Under 16 years old - Special Theatrical Permit
    16 & 17 years old - Employment Certificate

Age Certificate (issued to 18 to 21 years old)
A young worker between 18 and 21 years may need to obtain an age certificate (included on the A300). Employment Certificate because the employer is requesting proof of age. The young worker must complete the Minor's Personal Information on the employment certification form and show a birth certificate, passport, baptismal certificate, or other identification if the school does not already have a copy on file.
District Contact: Donna Ordille, Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent, 609.268.0153, extension 1011